Library Learning Commons
Welcome to the Davidson Creek Library Learning Commons
Hello! It’s so good to see everyone again!
I know things will look different this year in the library, but it will be an awesome year with access to great books!
For the Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 classes, I will be visiting your classrooms with a selection of library books. You will be able to choose one book to borrow each week.
For Grades 3 -6, you are now, staring in March, coming to the library in person with your classes. Yay!! Since you won't have a lot of time to browse while in the library, please feel free to do some searching in Destiny before you come to the library. Your teacher may give you time to do this during class time, or you can even do this at home (you can use the Destiny search bar below).
Fun Online Resources
If you are looking for something to do other than reading, you might want to visit these fun websites to enjoy games and activities:
Here are some fun websites that are tied to some of your favourite books and authors:
Research & Information
Instead of wading through thousands of Google search results, why not try the following online resources for research:
- The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Canadian Geographic Kids Atlas
- Merriam-Webster Word Central
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Kids' Science Experiments
- DuoLingo and Busuu (free language instruction, including French)
- PBS Nature Works
- World Wildlife Fund
- San Diego Zoo Animals & Plants
- Sea World: All About Animals
If you do use Goggle to search for information, it is a good idea to evaluate your search results. To do this, you can read the Five W's of Web Site Evaluation. Listed below is a summary of the website:
- WHO wrote the pages and what are their credentials?
- WHAT is the purpose of the site adn is this stated clearly?
- WHEN was the site created? When was it last updated?
- WHERE does the information come from?
- WHY is this page better than other sites?